Featherstone Sauvignon Blanc
- Vintage: 2020
- Origin: Stellenbosch, South Africa
- Taste Guide: A fresh, bright white wine with aromas of citrus and grapefruit. Smooth citrus palate tones are joined by piles of green apples and a lovely zippy acidity. Light-medium bodied and unoaked although the smoothness did remind us of vanilla tones which are very pleasant.
- 75cl - 13% - Traditional Cork Opening
- Food match: Salads, seafood dishes or a chicken based main course that includes grilled or steamed asparagus.
- Polish text on back label as this was the original destination for this wine before we managed to bid on some.
- Eco Friendly Farming Practices
Featherstone Estate Winery is owned and operated by husband and wife team David Johnson and Louise Engel. The Overberg region the Winery is located in is regarded as one of the finest for Sauvignon Blanc production in South Africa.
Winemaking at Featherstone
Winemaking and grape growing are both scientific and intuitive processes. Featherstone wines reflect the special character of the grapes, as well as the artistry of the winemaker, and are pointedly food-oriented, rich, clean and brisk.
As both vineyard manager and winemaker, David Johnson is able to work throughout the growing season to enhance the grapes’ natural attributes, ensuring that at harvest he can create exceptional wine with minimal winemaking embellishments.
The vineyard will only yield enough grapes to produce limited amounts of small- lot wines. It is not our goal to buy more vineyard or to expand our production beyond our current level of hands-on, artisanal wine production.
Featherstone was one of the first wineries to use Canadian oak barrels, producing an exceptional barrel-fermented Canadian Oak Chardonnay in 2002. Until recently, oak from Canada had not been considered for winemaking. The integration of our wine with oak grown in the same climate and region is an exciting concept. Encouraged by early successes, Canadian oak barrels at Featherstone continue to play an expanding role, albeit not in this Sauvignon!