El Gordo Del Circo Verdejo, Casa Rojo
- Vintage: 2020 (please see 2nd and 3rd bottle images)
- Origin: Castilla y Leon, Spain.
- Taste Guide: Off dry and unoaked; bright and aromatic, the nose shows pear, apple, tropical nuances and fresh herbs; wide and intense on the palate with a spicy richness gained from a short period of lees ageing.
- 75cl - 13% - Traditional Cork Closure.
- Food pairing: Best served with shellfish and even as an aperitif.
Rare white here from renowned and superb Spanish wine stable Casa Rojo. We often take the opportunity to stock anything from this team as we know it is reliably well made and tastes great.
Whilst the grape variety Verdejo performs admirably in the largest region of Spain, Castilla y León, the top examples come from Rueda situated astride the River Duero, to the south. Here on old vines, grown in pebble-strewn vineyards the best grapes are grown; these are harvested at night to keep the grapes cool, with indigenous yeasts being employed for the ferment and it is lees aged.
The Verdejo appears bright and clean, yellow with greenish hints. The nose is an austere of ripe fruit, both green and tropical, mingled with fresh herbal nuances. The palate is fat and powerful with a concentration of lively pear and apple fruit, underlying passionfruit and spice, finishing full with mouthcoating sweet fruit and even more minerality and layers of citrus spice and herbs. An excellent white that can be chilled well and benefits from aerating prior to drinking.
Retails for £15+ whenever it can be found which is not many places! Try it here for just £9.95 a bottle. Needs to be polished off before Summer 2022 to appreciate the best flavour.