'Catena' Appellation Lunlunta Malbec
- Vintage: 2016
- Origin: Lunluta, Mendoza, Argentina
- Taste Guide: Medium bodied and oaked. Aromas of fresh raspberries and blackberries with a lightly herbal note, too. The palate has a very deep-set delivery of rich, plush, plum and berry flavours with smooth tannins. Deep, profound, plum-soaked finish with latent, toasted-spice warmth to close.
- Food pairing: Nice medium body so can handle heavier red meat dishes like beef stew, lamb shank and roast dinners. Meat cooked on the grill/BBQ would also pair well.
- 75cl - 13% - Traditional Cork Opening
- Superb score on 8k in ratings on Vivino.com
Family vintners for over 100 years, the Catenas are recognised for their pioneering role in high-altitude viticulture and in leading Argentina’s Malbec revolution. Lunlunta is an idyllic district of small orchards and tree-lined country roads, well known for its ancient Malbec vines and silty-clay soils. Lunlunta Malbec displays black and red berry aromatics, a lengthy mid-palate and a ripe silky finish.
This wine goes through cold maceration for 5 days at 50ºF (10ºC). The juice is then fermented for 16 days with a post-fermentation maceration of 10 days. 12 months in barrel (35% new). Barrel selection varies depending on vineyard and vintage. French Oak.
We are struggling to locate this elsewhere in the UK, £12.40 is the average price according to Vivino.com users but that will be based on the last 5 years or so. Just under £10 here, superb value for a super Argentinian red.