Bodegas Costers del Sio 'Alto Sios'
- Vintage: 2012 (2013 also available on request: email@example.com but please allow more time for delivery)
- Origin: Catalonia, D.O Costers del Segre, Spain
- Grape varietals: 60% Syrah, 30% Tempranillo, 10% Garnacha Tinta
- Colour & Nose: An intense ruby red with a clean yet deep intensity. Powerful aromas of dark fruits (blackberries, blueberries) with fresh and floral notes. Presence of balsamic aromas such as rosemary and undergrowth with a rich finish of chocolates, toasty and woody tertiary notes.
- Tasting Note: Smooth entry. Full-bodied and rich in structure. Silky and polished tanins deliver a perfect balance and elegance. Lovely long finish.
- Oak aged: Yes, the wine undergoes malolactic fermentation in barrels and is then aged in French oak barrels of different origins and toasting to achieve complexity and elegance.
- Food pairing: Goes well with rice dishes and meat, stewed vegetables and/or wild mushrooms. It also pairs perfectly with casseroles, roast lamb and pork and grilled poultry.
- 75cl - 14% - Traditional Cork Opening
- PLEASE NOTE some labels may be dirty from dust
Juan de Porcioles had long cherished the dream of a life in the countryside, where he wanted to raise his own livestock and cultivate land - in the traditional way. In 1992, he fulfilled this dream and purchased a piece of land, the current Finca de Flix, which he cultivated. The idea of also growing his own wine quickly developed, and so in 1998 Juan began manually planting his first vineyard, Vinya Vella. He was supported by family and friends. Seven years later, the first harvest took place: the Alto Sios, Viña Sios red and rosé wines were the result of this harvest. in 2006 Costers del Sió was built, the winery was born.
Located in Balaguer in the Ribera de Sió, a picturesque and quiet area, whose landscape is characterized by olive trees and flocks of sheep, 300 meters above sea level. Hence, the vines benefit not only from this but from the fine limestone and sandy soils that give the fruit a wonderful minerality. All grapes are hand-harvested.
“A great wine starts with the vine, and we must take care of it as it deserves”. This is the philosophy the Porcioles family and their team work with and this is obvious in the Alto Siós wine.
RRP of £20 based on more recent vintages available from Spain at circa £14. This vintage is much older than anything available anywhere else when we checked (Oct ‘23) making it much more valuable.
Hence, this is a great opportunity to try a niche and rare Spanish Red for a very reasonable price.