Squealing Pig Pinot Noir - Marlborough, New Zealand
- Vintage: 2018
- Origin: Central Otago, Marlborough, New Zealand
- Taste guide: Dry, light bodied and oaked; a Pinot with earthiness and depth to wallow in. The pristine cool-climate along with long sun drenched days allowed the fruit to ripen magnificently and produce aromas of deep red cherry, blackberry and cocoa. In the mouth the Squealing Pig is rich and generous with velvet like tannins and a wonderful, long finish. A deliciously drinkable Pinot for the Summer!
- 75cl - 13% - screwcap
- Food pairing: The ideal wine for BBQ food, especially pork belly!
Squealing Pig is a range of wines that originated in New Zealand and has spread first to Australia and then to Europe. The whole range is produced under the supervision of top New Zealand winemaker Spring Timlin, who for many years was the chief winemaker at Matua. We recently stocked the Primitivo version, albeit at a slightly cheaper price and it sold out (twice) rather quickly! The Malbec is also very nice, they know what they are doing at this winemaking establishment!
"Our Agrelo vineyard sits high up at around 1000m above sea level with a semi-desert climate where drip irrigation is necessary. The soils are sandy loam with gravel and we plant 5,500 plants per hectare. The 2018 harvest was an early one due to hot, dry conditions and began in mid March. Quality and concentration was high this year and the vintage was outstanding".
Select grapes from Central Otago and Marlborough went into this wine, with a palate bursting maraschino cherry and blackcurrant flavours, framed by toasty oak. Layers of delicate tannin create an opulent texture that flows to a lingering finish.
Hard to find elsewhere in the UK and sells in New Zealand for more than £10! BinEndWines' price: £8.25
- Central Otago Pinot Noir 2013Double Gold Medal2014 San Francisco International Wine Competition
- Central Otago Pinot Noir 2013Gold Medal2014 Hong Kong International Wine Spirits Competition