Rawson's Retreat - Merlot - S.E. Australia
One of Australia's favourite brands produced by the renowned winemakers Penfolds under their Rawson's Retreat label.
- Vintage: 2019
- Origin: South Eastern Australia - Rawson's Retreat Wines
- Taste guide: Medium bodied, spicy red with a soft tannin feel in the mouth, rich in dark berries and vanilla spice on the palate from the part-oaked ageing. Smooth pleasant finish.
- 75cl - 14% - Natural Cork Closure
- Food pairing: Best suited with beef, lamb, and richly flavoured dishes.
- Decant or let this wine breathe for at least 20 minutes before enjoying fully.
Rawson's Retreat wines were affectionately named after the family cottage built by the founder Christopher Rawson Penfold in 1845, one year after he planted his first vines on his property in Magill. They are part of the Penfold group of winemakers.
Grapes for this wine were sourced from select vineyards in the Riverina area in South East Australia.
A small proportion of the finished wine was aged in oak and then back-blended to produce a smooth, lightly oaked wine.
This is a lovely example of the great Australian Merlot and ultimately a wine that is perfect for drinking now.
The brand Rawson's Retreat is now given over to a range of non-alcohol wines which are stocked by all major supermarkets. Obviously being non-alcoholic they attract no duty and sell for considerably less than a proper wine, so price comparisons are invalid.
However, when the range was available, they commanded prices of around £8.99 - at BinEndWines just £6.59