La Roncaia Eclisse
- Vintage: 2018
- Origin: Venezia Giulia, Italy
- Varietal blend: Sauvignon Blanc & Picolit
- Taste guide: Medium bodied & oaked. Vibrant straw in colour. Fragrant with aromatic notes of blossom, peach and tropical fruit; the palate shows minerality, great length with peach and honey nuances. Balanced, elegant finish.
- 75cl - 13.5% - Traditional Cork Opening
- Food pairing: Shellfish, either raw or steamed fish.
The La Roncaia winery was created by Fantinel family in 1998 in the small village of Cergneu, in the northern corner of Colli Orientali del Friuli, just 5 miles from the border with Slovenia. Here, at about 250 metres above sea level, maritime breezes protect the vines from the cold northern winds: the grapes benefit from the longer ripening period developing intense flavours. They farm some very old vineyards which produce tiny yields of high-quality grapes.
Their philosophy is aimed at expressing the Friuli Colli Orientali region using just a few grape varieties, including native varieties, interpreted with peculiar vinification methods; ‘appassimento’, drying the grapes for months on trays indoors, and the use of oak barrels for fermentation and maturation are key practices. Tibor Gal, the talented and internationally recognized Hungarian winemaker, was the consultant for La Roncaia from its first vintage in 1999 until 2005, the year of his tragic and untimely death. Today his development work, both the winemaking and in the vineyards introducing specific clones and working on incredibly low yields, is built upon by Adriano Copetti a disciple of the great Tibor; his focus is on producing incredibly intense wines.
This rare white wine is the pearl in the crown of the Fantinel family of wines. Sells for up to £26 elsewhere, just £14.99 here is a steal. Limited stocks.