Foncalieu Les Illustres, Coteaxu d’Ensérune 2012
- Vintage: 2012
- Origin: Languedoc-Roussillon, France
- Classification: IGT Coteaxu d’Enserune
- Taste Guide: Dark red appearance with hints of purple. Complex bouquet of cardamom, alcohol-soaked fruit and tobacco leaf. Liquorice notes and a wonderful freshness on the palate. Intense finish supported by caramelised notes.
- Grape Varietals: 30% Cabernet Franc, 60% Syrah, 10% Malbec
- Part oaked: 10% is Malbec which is oak aged.
- Ready to drink now or cellar and enjoy before 2027 ideally. Decant for 1 to 3 hours before drinking.
- Food pairing: Excellent with rabbit and olives, red mullet pie or a veal and prune tagine.
- 75cl - 13.5% - Traditional Cork Opening
Les Vignobles Foncalieu are a union of cooperatives anchored in the heart of Languedoc. “Our territory stretches from the Corbières massif to the banks of the Mediterranean, from the Mistral- swept hillsides to the sun-caressed plains between Carcassonne and Béziers. It is in the heart of these landscapes, situated between ocean and mountains, that all our wine-growers tend to our 4,000 hectares of vines every day in order to offer Foncalieu the high-quality grapes used to produce exceptional wines”.
“A cooperative with strong values since 1967, our 650 winegrowers cultivate team spirit, authenticity, innovation and a shared passion… all of which have led Foncalieu to be named as one of the 50 most well-known brands of wine in the world by the trade magazine Drinks International in 2017”.
Pre-fermentation cold maceration lasting 5-6 days to gently extract the pigments and aromas found in the grape skins. Alcoholic fermentation in low-capacity temperature-controlled stainless steel vats (40-100 hl) for plot-by-plot vinification. Maceration lasting 3-4 weeks with daily punching down and pumping over to gently extract the full richness from the grapes.
£33 RRP based on the current price at: XtraWine for the 2013 vintage.