Esporao Quinta dos Murças Assobio Douro
- Vintage: 2017 and still drinking superbly!
- Origin: Covelinhas, Portugal
- Taste guide: Medium dry, medium bodied & unoaked. Pale straw hue, intense, fresh aroma dominated by citrus & tropical fruits - long & refreshing finish.
- 75cl - Traditional Cork Opening - 12.5%
- Grape blend: 30% Viosinho, 25% Verdelho, 25% Rabigato, 10% Gouveio and 10% Códega do Larinho
- Food pairing: Will go well with seafood dishes, fish dishes or salad.
Located in the heart of the Alentejo region, the Herdade do Esporão Estate was established in 1267. Having passed through various families and Counts of the region, the property has been owned by the Roquette family since 1973. Esporão are keen to preserve what is genuine and traditional, but seek to combine this with innovation. At the heart of all Esporão projects is the preservation of the environment and biodiversity and wine production is overseen by the well respected and highly experienced winemaker David Baverstock, who is at the forefront of modern Portuguese winemaking. His philosophy is to create authentic and exciting wines, taking full advantage of Portuguese heritage and grape diversity and combining it with a contemporary approach. Esporão is characterised by the diversity of its volcanic and schist soils, warmed by the Alentejo sun, which are tempered by cool Atlantic breezes. Sustainable production methods are used throughout and a large area of vineyards is currently being converted for organic production.
The grapes are harvested by hand and the fermentation is carried out at low temperatures, with light-lees ageing; to develop a wine with a fresh, aromatic nature. The nose shows citrus notes, such as lime, with a touch of passion fruit; the palate is vibrant and lively with a lingering citrus finish.
Hard-to-find wine (even we could only get 11 bottles) is up to £11.99 elsewhere but just £7.49 with us!