Bodegas Protos Crianza
- Vintage: 2017
- Origin: Ribera del Duero, Spain
- Grape Variety: Tinto del Pais (Tempranillo)
- Taste Guide: Full bodied & oaked. Cherry colour hue with garnet rim, bright and intense. On the nose, there are aromas of red fruit, cocoa bean, creamy oak alongside hints of spices. The palate is powerful and fruity with good acidity and a long finish.
- 75cl - 14.5% - Traditional Cork Closure.
- Food pairing: This full-bodied wine is superb with grilled red meats, carpaccio and venison.
Protos is the oldest winery in the area, founded in 1729 and giving up its original name (Bodegas Ribera de Duero) in 1982 so that the DO could be founded. The 1,400 hectares of land stretch along the edges of the river Duero, mostly south facing. The ageing barrels are stored in underground cellars which span 2km and help give Protos wines their distinctive character. Harvesting is all carried out manually and grapes undergo two selections once at the winery.
The crianza is aged for 12 months in a combination of French and American oak barrels and spends a further 12 months in bottle before being released. The wine is full of ripe fruits and sweet spice, see taste guide above for a fuller description of the nose, palate and so on.
The guiding philosophy of Protos is ‘Quality Above All’ and we couldn’t agree more with this cracker of a Crianza.
Allow to breathe/decant for an hour prior to drinking.
Will cellar well for another 4-5 years.
Superb feedback and score on Vivino: